The guide map of the City of Helsinki is a map of the Helsinki area with a generalised documentation technique, produced to assist in positioning and guidance. The guide map is produced from the map data maintained by the City Survey Services of the City of Helsinki’s Urban Environment Division by generalising it to a scale of 1:10,000.
The guide map of the City of Helsinki covers the entire area of the City of Helsinki, including the sea area. The data is produced with the help of the base map, address decisions, legally valid detailed plans, aerial photographs and other data sources. The data is constantly updated. An open data publication is carried out once a year.
The guide map contains the following information: place names, streets, roads and railway connections, public buildings, areas with blocks of flats, detached house areas, industrial areas, forest and field areas, nature reserves and municipal boundaries. In addition, the map shows the names of the city districts and city sub-districts, as well as some attractions and public services.
The guide map of Helsinki is published as a raster image file in the TIF file format. The raster image is positioned in the coordinate system using the TFW file and TAB file. The guide map can also be downloaded as vector raw data (not documentation technique) via the WFS interface in both the traditional GML format and as vector tiles (geojson, topjson, utfgrid and mapbox-vector).
The data is available for download in several formats, including JSON, KML, CSV, Esri Shape, and XML. Available formats can always be found under OutputFormat in the GetCapabilities query for the service.
Note: The data of the interface services is constantly updated. The TIF raster sets are published about four times a year.
- Maintained in ETRS-GK25 (EPSG:3879), can be projected to other coordinate systems. See GetCapabilities query for other possible coordinate systems.
- WMS API: https://kartta.hel.fi/ws/geoserver/avoindata/wms
- WMTS API: https://kartta.hel.fi/ws/geoserver/avoindata/gwc/service/wmts
- WFS API: https://kartta.hel.fi/ws/geoserver/avoindata/wfs
- Opaskartta_Helsinki (also WMTS)
- Opaskartta_alue includes area features
- Opaskartta_alueenviiva includes the borders of the area features or the lines of the filling symbol (e.g. flow arrow, cemetery)
- Opaskartta_muuviiva contains all other line features
- Opaskartta_nimisto contains place name items and address numbers. Note: Due to the generalisation level of the guide map, some of the names are shortened or missing or do not have the Swedish version. Furthermore, the map does not contain all possible address numbers.